Friday, May 1, 2009

Milwaukee Brewers- Playoffs or not?

So I am as diehard of a Milwaukee Brewers fan as you can possibly find. I have a 9 pack of tickets, with plans to attend probably twenty or so games this year. I buy Brewers apparel at a lightning pace. I was one of probably fifty people who attended the first playoff game in Philadelphia last year, which is as memorable of an experience as Ive ever had. My friend Vinny Rottino has had stints on and off with the Brewers. A good fraction of the team orders food from my restaurants (Toppers Pizza). Alert: Corey Hart just made a webgem. Moral of the story, I know our team and what I think they are capable of.

For all of you optimists, I hate to break it to you, but we aren't going anywhere unless we trade for some pitching. Theres no doubt that we have some bright spots already this season, the biggest possibly being the development of Ricky Weeks. He is hitting a robust .270, but it feels like .340 the way he is scorching the ball all over the place. Yovani Gallardo is living up to the hype as well, and the other big sticks in the lineup are starting to come around too. But we all know it comes down to pitching, barring some sort of miracle.

Its not completely hopeless for us. If we make a good run like we did last year, who's to say Attanasio doesnt go out and pickup an expensive arm like he did last year (I would personally sleep with him if he went out and got the likes of Peavy or Halladay, probably not a good incentive for him or myself but im sticking to it)There is also the possibility that we *could* swing our way into the playoffs, similar to the '82 days of Harveys Wallbangers. Its just not really probably however.

Cutting to the chase: I believe the Brewers will hover above the .500 range most of the season, and will fall short to the (choke) Cubs and Cardinals. Look for another exciting, interesting season that may go down to the wire, but we just dont have it in us this year. I hope I'm wrong.

Check out these sites for better, more up to date Brewers analysis....these guys know their shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment